Sunday, January 2, 2011

Never drop the bone to catch the shadow

WHY must I test out every proverb myself?
Proverbs exist so that people can learn from the wisdom and mistakes of others.

Yet I have decided to live my life, each moment, testing out time honoured aphorisms. Because I think, I know better! But really, I don't.

'Never drop the bone to catch the shadow' or in Greek 'Όποιος θέλει τα πολλά, χάνει και τα λίγα'. Simply meaning 'Don't be Greedy!'

Well, initially I thought it was an old wives tale, typical overly cautious parents telling their children not to overstep their boundaries. What about ambition? What about luck? Are they accounted for in this? If not, shouldn't they be? What kind of world would it be without a little Chutzpah to keep things interesting.

So I wanted to have my cake and eat it too! WHY SHOULDN'T I? ummm maybe because it's impossible.

Next time I decide to do 7 things per day, so that I can cross them off my to do list and dichotomosly please everyone. While simultaneously over-indulging, under-sleeping and galavanting without reason and purpose I will remember not to be greedy. Because if I don't, I will once again become so ill, and will be bed-ridden for three days. With no-one to blame but the reflection in the mirror and no-one to cry to except the four walls.

I've dropped the proverbial bone.
I reached for the shaddow, but we all know how that turned out.

So as they say: The darkest hour is always before dawn
Dawn, hurry the h#$% up!

No comments:

Post a Comment